Scenes from Saturday

The room is dark.  I can feel the fan slowly rotate around blowing softly on my neck.  I thought I had turned it off before going to bed.  Addy is crying down the hall in her bedroom.  I pull the covers up higher and snuggle into my bed.  I can feel the warmth of my five year old pressed against my back.  Addy isn't going to stop until she gets what she wants and what she wants is a bottle of milk.  I tip toe down the hall and open the door.  Addy is standing up holding onto the railing.  She gets excited when she sees me and I take her bottle downstairs.  The light in the kitchen guides me to the frig where I fill her bottle to the top.  I go back upstairs lay her down and hand her the bottle.  I can hear the milk as she gulps it down.  I close the door and tip toe back to my room where I fall fast asleep until morning light.

There is no hurry this Saturday morning.  Soccer is finished for the season.  Earlier in the week we sadly pulled the boys out of German School.  We just couldn't do it anymore.  It was getting too hard with all the other activities we have on our calendar.  Harris wants to compete in the robotics tournaments.  He is the team leader for his group.  Winston really loves soccer.  Roman could take or leave soccer, but he had fun with his friends.  Thankfully, Addy doesn't have any activities.  We just couldn't be in more than one place at a time.  I was having to pay the girl next door to transport one or more of my children to activities since my husband works on Saturdays and so does Nana.   It felt good not to have to run off and sit in traffic.  It felt nice to be able to make eggs and bacon for the boys for breakfast.  We will just have to make our own German school.  No more driving two hours for 2 1/2 hours of instruction.  Yes, we will miss our friends that we have made over the years, but I think we will have  more family harmony and that is completely worth not going.





Later that day, Nana comes over.  She pulls out the sewing  machine.  She threads the bobbin.  She changes the thread on top.  Then she cuts the fabric.  She shows me what to do and I do the same only larger.  She irons the fabric.  I iron my fabric.  She folds over the edge of the fabric creating a hem.  She shows me how to align my fabric up with the ten underneath the needle and the foot.  Then we sew the two pieces of fabric together.  A couple hours later one project is finished.  A Christmas skirt for Addy and one for Emily who lives in Seattle.

Comments

Oh my. I think this was a brave choice. Good for you!!!
Arctic Mum said…
That skirt is so cute, I've thought of making the same one for Anna too! Driving two hours every Saturday seems insane! Very good choice to pull them out, one should definately try to take away the stressful activities in life. Speaking of, it's insane in this house too, we just run and run, with the result that we get ill every other week: cold, stomach flue etc. Looking forward to Christmas now!
Arctic Mum said…
That skirt is so cute, I've thought of making the same one for Anna too! Driving two hours every Saturday seems insane! Very good choice to pull them out, one should definately try to take away the stressful activities in life. Speaking of, it's insane in this house too, we just run and run, with the result that we get ill every other week: cold, stomach flue etc. Looking forward to Christmas now!
tinajo said…
Sweet skirt! Good for you to get it a bit easier with the activities, sometimes one gets overwhelmed by everything!
Francesca said…
I'm glad you know have the time for some sewing! :)
jane said…
the skirt is lovely. and i´m sure they´ll start german again some day. :)
hope all is well k. :)
x
Isn't it nice to have a calm day!! I totally understand the craziness of kids activities - the mom - taxi service. We limit our kids to a couple of activities each because times 3 kids - it's constantly running around. We have been a bit lucky that my youngest has one of her activites at her school - after - school so just stays there. Love to sew too...but haven't found the time yet - but I'm inspired!
3 Peanuts said…
I LOVE that skirt. Kate really want to learn to sew but I don't know how. I think we are going to get a sewing machine for Christmas and learn together:)

Kim

Popular Posts