I have a confession


I have a confession besides being a chocoholic and total sugar addict, I haven't had a Pap smear in over 2 years. I think the last one I had was around when I got pregnant with Roman. You are probably wondering why I am telling you this because this isn't something one talks about. I think we try to avoid this topic, and if you are like me out of going to the Doctor. That is going to change today. I am going to make the appointment today because I know it can save my life, and I have a life worth living for. The other reason I am writing about this is because I have a childhood friend who was young and beautiful who just died in July of Ovarian Cancer. Her name was Carrie and she was only 38. It just doesn't seem possible that someone so young can die. Our mom's were co-workers and friends. Carrie and I took ballet lesson together. When we would visit our moms, who were dental assistants, in the office we would give the dentist a hard time. We loved to color and play little people. We saw the Movie Top Gun together. I loved to sit in the kitchen and talk with her and her mom while drinking the most killer chocolate chip banana milkshakes that her mom would make for us. We played on the beach, and when we were teenagers we went to Mexico. I wanted to be just like Carrie. Everyone loved Carrie. She had beautiful wheat-colored hair that was straight unlike my curly hair. Most importantly Carrie was smart. When she graduated from high school, she went to Pepperdine University. Later on she opened her own business, and was successful. It just doesn't seem real. I still regret that I didn't make a bigger effort to visit her last year when I was in California. I didn't call because I was still a few more pounds than I wanted to be and didn't want her to see me that way. I thought I would be able to see her the next time I go to California. Now she is gone. So, I guess there are two lessons from this story. The first go out and get a Pap smear if you need one and the second is don't put off visiting those you care about.

To find out more about Ovarian Cancer you can go to www.ovariancancerawareness.org

Comments

Company EIGHT said…
I'm so sorry about your friend Kelleyn. She sounds wonderful.
sandals said…
so sorry about your friend. I imagine that's very sad. I didn't know pap test are for ovarian cancer(I thought it was just cervical cancer). I am getting mine next month. Thanks for the info!
Jamie said…
I hadn't gone since Liesie 3 1/2 years ago and finally went a few weeks ago. Then the dr. pulls the whole baseline mammogram on me. Another bullet to bite.
Mel-o-drama said…
Sorry to hear about your friend - it's difficult to lose someone in the prime of their life and I hate regrets, especially ones that are based on something so silly as weight. I hereby vow to never let being the fat friend stop me from being the friend :) Thanks Kelleyn.

Popular Posts